Union County Relocation Lawyer

Relocating a child to a new place can have an overwhelming and long-lasting impact on the parent-child relationship. In recognition of the potentially severe impact of moving a child away from a parent, the New Jersey Supreme Court ruled in Bisbing v. Bisbing that all child relocation cases will be decided solely based on the best interests of the child.

If you are a parent who wishes to relocate with your child away from their other parent, or if you have received a request to have your child relocated, you should consider contacting a Union County relocation lawyer. A dedicated child custody attorney could fight to protect your rights and the rights of your child during this difficult and important time.

Can a Parent Move a Child Without Consent?

In New Jersey, a parent cannot relocate outside of New Jersey without either consent of the other parent or a court order. If the non-moving parent consents to the relocation, then both parents should have a written, signed, and notarized consent document.

If the non-moving parent objects, the parent who is seeking the relocation cannot move without permission from the Court. The objecting parent must provide justification as to why the move may not be good for the child. These reasons can include a child’s health and welfare, education, and other concerns.

The objecting parent may also try to show that the move would cause the child an inordinate amount of harm. A parent may be able to argue that the move will traumatize the child by severing the bond they have with each other. Alternatively, the parent of a child with special needs or health issues could argue that the treatment options where the child would not meet the standard of care they are receiving in New Jersey.

In the end, the court would make the final decision. That being said, parents who are seeking the consent of the other parents or are having trouble acquiring it may still benefit from consulting with an experienced relocation attorney in Union County.

Determining the Best Interests of the Child

When establishing whether relocation is an acceptable outcome for a child of separated parents, courts in Union County seek to determine whether the move is in the child’s best interests. Essentially, as an alternative to deciding based on whether the child would face apparent harm as a result of the move, the court looks to see how the move could be beneficial to the child.

As such, there are certain considerations that the court usually focuses on before making a choice. These include health and education, communication and visitation with the other parent, how the move would affect the child’s relationship with extended family members, and several other relevant factors.

New Jersey courts do not take child relocation lightly, so it is important to be prepared to make a convincing case in support of your position. Reaching out to a Union County relocation lawyer for assistance may be key to achieving a positive outcome.

Get in Touch with a Union County Relocation Attorney

If you or your child’s parent are thinking about moving away with your child, it may be worthwhile to seek skilled legal representation. Given the drastic and life-altering nature of child relocation cases, it is often important to have a continuous, open dialogue with parents so that they and their attorneys can maintain up-to-date information regarding the issues of the case. If you need assistance with a child relocation matter, speak with a Union County relocation lawyer today.

What Sets Us Apart?


We will make sure you have the necessary information to make an educated decision for your future.


When you choose to work with us, you will receive the one-on-one personal service that you need.


We understand that you may be suffering greatly from this process, and we'll provide the highest level of care and attention.


You need representation on your side that will fight to minimize any adverse effect of a verdict in your case.

Legal Knowledge

We limit our practice solely to family law so that we may provide a higher quality product to our clients.

Contact Our Attorneys Today
Start With A Free Case Evaluation







    No aspect of this advertisement has been approved by the New Jersey Supreme Court. The information on this website is for general information purposes only. Nothing on this site should be taken as legal advice or tax advice for any individual case or situation. This information is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship. Please do not send any confidential information to us until such time an attorney-client relationship has been established. Results may vary depending on your particular facts and legal circumstances. Consultations are offered for those who retain the firm.

    ©Copyright 2024Moskowitz Law Group, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

    Contact Us
    [contact-form-7 404 "Not Found"]