Recently Acquired Income Deficiency Syndrome in New Jersey

All parents have an obligation to financially provide for their children. After a divorce, this often comes in the form of child support payments to the primary custodial parent. However, some parents may refuse to pay this support or they may try to find ways to work around their obligation. One of the chief barriers that often affects support payments is called recently acquired income deficiency syndrome (RAIDS) in New Jersey. However, with help from strong legal counsel, it may be possible to fight this devious tactic and get the support your child needs and deserves.

What is RAIDS?

Recently acquired income deficiency syndrome is when a parent is voluntarily unemployed or they otherwise make it appear that they are not working in order to avoid paying child support. RAIDS is a phrase that is coined by attorneys and family courts for when someone goes to great lengths to avoid financially supporting their child. However, this generally does not work, as in situations where a parent does not have an income from a job, the court may impute an income for them and proportionately adjust their support obligation.

How an Attorney Could Help Fight RAIDS in New Jersey

A New Jersey support attorney could help a parent relying on support payments in these situations by examining by the employment history of the individual in arrears, and proving that their leave from employment was voluntary. If someone just leaves their employment, they are still liable for the amount of support that they should have been giving the child if they had kept their former employment.

Sometimes, people are also underemployed for the purpose of not having to pay as much child support, securing a more profitable job only after the agreement has been finalized. If an attorney is able to prove that they were intentionally underemployed, there may be significant penalties for their recently acquired income deficiency syndrome. While these strategies could help a parent get the money they are owed, they are often difficult arguments to make without help from a dedicated and experienced local lawyer.

When Do Child Support Payments End?

Child support is paid through emancipation. If the child graduates from high school and does not go on to post-secondary education, if they enter the military, or get married, the child would be considered emancipated and ineligible for support. However, if the child goes to college, then they are not considered emancipated and child support payments may continue as normal. Regardless of what the child does, once they reach the age of 23, they are no longer entitled to financial support from a non-custodial parent.

Get in Touch with a Lawyer to Get the Support You Need

As a parent, your primary concern is the welfare of your child, and that comes at significant financial expense. To offset this, both parents are supposed to provide some of their income and wealth to provide for that child. If your child’s other parent is suddenly and dubiously unemployed or they are suspiciously underemployed, you may be facing a case of recently acquired income deficiency in New Jersey. For help proving that they are intentionally depriving your child of the support they are owed, contact an attorney and schedule a case consultation.

What Sets Us Apart?


We will make sure you have the necessary information to make an educated decision for your future.


When you choose to work with us, you will receive the one-on-one personal service that you need.


We understand that you may be suffering greatly from this process, and we'll provide the highest level of care and attention.


You need representation on your side that will fight to minimize any adverse effect of a verdict in your case.

Legal Knowledge

We limit our practice solely to family law so that we may provide a higher quality product to our clients.

Contact Our Attorneys Today
Start With A Free Case Evaluation







    No aspect of this advertisement has been approved by the New Jersey Supreme Court. The information on this website is for general information purposes only. Nothing on this site should be taken as legal advice or tax advice for any individual case or situation. This information is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship. Please do not send any confidential information to us until such time an attorney-client relationship has been established. Results may vary depending on your particular facts and legal circumstances. Consultations are offered for those who retain the firm.

    ©Copyright 2024Moskowitz Law Group, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

    Contact Us
    [contact-form-7 404 "Not Found"]