What To Do if Your Ex Refuses to Pay Child Support 

What To Do if Your Ex Refuses to Pay Child Support 

During a divorce or separation involving children, courts may decide that one parent is responsible for paying child support. This involves ongoing periodic payments from one parent to the other to assist in covering a child’s necessities and supporting their lifestyle.

In some cases, the individual responsible for paying child support may refuse or neglect to make these payments. Courts take this issue seriously, so there are numerous legal options for helping a child support recipient pursue accountability and financial support for their child. Here are a few steps you can take when your ex-spouse refuses to pay child support.

Gather Proof of Non-Payment

To take legal action regarding missed child support payments, the first thing you need to do is gather proof your ex-spouse is not meeting the legal terms of your divorce agreement. You must have a formal child support order signed by a judge or a signed agreement between the parents to hold your ex-spouse legally responsible. Since child support payments are typically paid via checks or transfers between bank accounts, bank statements often serve as effective documentation that an ex-spouse has missed or refused to make payments.

Pursue a Child Support Enforcement Order

Once you have proof that your ex-spouse has failed to pay child support, you can ask the court to enforce the child support agreement and even hold your ex in contempt. With the assistance of a family law attorney, you can request that the court enforce the child support obligation and order terms for paying off any child support arrears. The court can also order that your ex’s paychecks be garnished or bank accounts be levied upon to pay child support and child support arrears.

Call a Skilled Attorney for Help Enforcing a Child Support Agreement or Order

When your ex refuses to pay child support, the best way to move forward is to gather evidence and hire an experienced family law attorney. The seasoned legal team at Moskowitz Law Group can walk you through your legal options for resolving a child support dispute and getting the payments your child needs. Reach out today to schedule a free consultation.

Contact Our Attorneys Today

Start With A Free Case Evaluation







    Unique Challenges of Later-in-Life Divorces 10Apr
    Unique Challenges of Later-in-Life Divorces Posted by Moskowitz Law Group, LLC
    The Role of Technology in Child Custody Disputes 08Apr
    The Role of Technology in Child Custody Disputes Posted by Content
    Divorces Involving Children with Special Needs 02Apr
    Divorces Involving Children with Special Needs Posted by Moskowitz Law Group, LLC
    How to Budget for a Divorce 29Mar
    How to Budget for a Divorce Posted by Content

    No aspect of this advertisement has been approved by the New Jersey Supreme Court. The information on this website is for general information purposes only. Nothing on this site should be taken as legal advice or tax advice for any individual case or situation. This information is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship. Please do not send any confidential information to us until such time an attorney-client relationship has been established. Results may vary depending on your particular facts and legal circumstances. Consultations are offered for those who retain the firm.

    ©Copyright 2024Moskowitz Law Group, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

    Contact Us
    [contact-form-7 404 "Not Found"]