Call 24/7 To Set Up Your Free Case Evaluation 201.419.6223
We Protect What Matters Most! Experienced. Dedicated. Committed.

How To Change Your Divorce Decree When New Evidence Is Found

In an ideal world, all the information you need to make a decision or to give another person in charge of making a decision would be known at the outset of a situation. However, we all know that is not true and new information has a way of turning up when least expected. Depending on the situation this can be harmful, or can help you. If you have gone through a divorce, and issues such as child support and asset division have been made, learning new things after the decree has been entered can create problems. For example, if your custody arrangement hinged on a certain job or living in a certain location and you later learn your ex is moving or has had a change in income, you will want to take steps to make sure the content of the divorce decree matches the new information.

On issues of child support, if your ex-spouse suddenly receives a large bonus or increase in salary, you can ask for a modification of the child support order to reflect this new evidence. If you have just learned your ex was hiding assets, you can seek to have the property distribution order changed by bringing the new evidence to light. The results of a divorce are supposed to be fair and equitable, and this requires both parties being up front about assets, intentions, and what they want. However, it is not uncommon for one spouse to conceal assets or downplay a promotion at work in an effort to keep more for themselves.

We have experience helping people seek changes to the orders entered in their divorce, and can also help with filing motions to hold your ex in contempt of court if the current order is not being followed. To accomplish these things, you will need to show the Court a change in circumstances, and this requires presenting evidence that was not provided to the Court during your case. Call us today to find out what to do if you have just learned new things about your ex, their assets, or income. We will work for results that meet your needs, and the needs of your family.