Alimony Modifications in Bergen County

To change the required amount of alimony a person has to pay, they must attempt to reach an agreement with the other party through negotiation. If they cannot come to an agreement, then they would have to file an application with the court requesting an alimony modification.

It can be difficult to navigate the complex process of changing spousal support agreements without an experienced legal advocate. A lawyer knowledgeable in Bergen County law could guide you through the necessary negotiations and help you make your desired modification.

Required Circumstances for Alimony Modification in Bergen County

As long as the property settlement agreement acknowledges that there can be a change of circumstances under which an alimony modification would be allowed, then a party can request a change. The property settlement agreement may enumerate a timeframe in which alimony will stop. The paying spouse would then be entitled to stop at this time. Otherwise, they would have to wait for a change of circumstances to stop paying alimony.

Circumstances that could warrant a spousal support modification include:

  • The alimony recipient remarries, which would result in a termination.
  • The recipient is co-habitating, which could result in a termination.
  • The recipient begins earning a large sum of money, and it can be demonstrated that they have less of a need than when they were originally awarded alimony.
  • The person paying the alimony loses their job, and their unemployment is permanent rather than temporary in nature. The person would have to wait at least 90 days after being laid off before requesting a modification.
  • The person paying alimony retires, and it is a good-faith retirement.

If the alimony is going to the New Jersey Probation Payment Department, and there is no agreement by the other side, that party would have to file an application in the court to stop the alimony payments. This is true even if one of those factors has been met.

Determining Alimony Payments in Court

If the alimony came about by way of a court order, the judge cannot order that it is non-modifiable. If the judge determines the alimony in a final hearing, and a party is displeased with the amount, they could file an appeal or apply for a modification if there is a change of circumstances in the future.

If the paying spouse then comes to court to file a modification, they must make a prima facie case proving the change of circumstance. Upon that showing, they are then entitled to receive financial information or discovery from the alimony recipient.

An Alimony Attorney Could Help Modify Your Agreement

Parties can request an alimony modification by themselves, but they may benefit from representation by a legal professional. A qualified Bergen County lawyer who is experienced in alimony modification cases could gather the necessary proof for change of circumstance and improve your chance of success.

You may have a viable case but not know how to present it in court, which could lead to a denial. An alimony attorney could create an effective plan of action that could give you the best possibility of prevailing in court. If you want to modify your alimony payments, call today to schedule a confidential consultation.

What Sets Us Apart?


We will make sure you have the necessary information to make an educated decision for your future.


When you choose to work with us, you will receive the one-on-one personal service that you need.


We understand that you may be suffering greatly from this process, and we'll provide the highest level of care and attention.


You need representation on your side that will fight to minimize any adverse effect of a verdict in your case.

Legal Knowledge

We limit our practice solely to family law so that we may provide a higher quality product to our clients.

Contact Our Attorneys Today
Start With A Free Case Evaluation







    No aspect of this advertisement has been approved by the New Jersey Supreme Court. The information on this website is for general information purposes only. Nothing on this site should be taken as legal advice or tax advice for any individual case or situation. This information is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship. Please do not send any confidential information to us until such time an attorney-client relationship has been established. Results may vary depending on your particular facts and legal circumstances. Consultations are offered for those who retain the firm.

    ©Copyright 2024Moskowitz Law Group, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

    Contact Us
    [contact-form-7 404 "Not Found"]